Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Print Books (AMA)
- Author's name(s). Chapter title. In: Surname and first and middle initials of book authors or editors or translators if any. Title of book and subtitle. Volume number. Edition. Place of publication: Name of publisher; year of copyright: Page numbers when cited.
Reference to an entire book:
- Modlin J, Jenkins P. Decision Analysis in planning for a Polio Outbreak in the United States. San Francisco, CA: Pediatric Academic Societies; 2004.
Reference to chapter in a book:
- Solensky R. Drug Allergy: desensitization and treatment of reactions to antibiotics and aspirin. In: Lockey P, ed. Allergens and Allergen Immunotherapy. 3rd ed. New York, NY: Marcel Dekker; 2004:585-606.
Editors and Translators:
- Plato. The Laws. Taylor EA, trans-ed. London, England: JM Dent & Sons Ltd; 1934:104-105.
- US Department of Health and Human Services. Understanding and Improving Health and Objectives for Improving Health. Vol 1. 2nd ed. Washington, DC: US Dept of Health and Human Services; 2000.
- Glinoer D. Thyroid disease during pregnancy. In: Braverman LE, Utiger RE, eds. Werner and Ingbar's The Thyroid: A Fundamental and Clinical Text. 8th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2000:1013-1027.
- Author's name(s). Title of book and subtitle. [Edition number, if second ed or above] ed. City, State (or country) of publisher: Publisher's name; copyright year. URL: http://xxxxx, Accessed (date).
- Kasper D, Fauci A, Hauser S, Longo D, Jameson JL, Loscalzo J. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 19th ed. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill; 2014. http://accessmedicine.mhmedical.com/content.aspx?bookid=1130§ionid=79720773. Accessed June 14, 2017.
E-Book Chapters (AMA)
- Author(s). Chapter title. In: Editor(s). Book Title. [Edition number, if it is the second edition or above] ed. City, State (or country) of publisher: Publisher's name; copyright year:inclusive pages. URL: [provide URL and verify that the link still works]. Accessed [date].
- Resnick NM. Geriatric medicine. In: Braunwald E, Fauci AS, Isselbacher KJ, et al, eds. Harrison's Online. Based on: Braunwald E, Hauser SL, Fauci AS, Kasper DL, Longo DL, Jameson JL, eds. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 15th ed. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill; 2001. http://www.hsls.pitt.edu/resources/documentation/harrisonsinfo.html. Accessed December 6, 2005.