Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Online Journal and Magazine Articles (AMA)
- Author’s name(s). Title of the article and subtitle. Abbreviated name of journal. Year; Volume number(issue number, part or supplement number when pertinent): Page number(s). DOI or URL. Date published (if available). Date updated (if applicable). Date accessed (if citing with a URL).
*note if the doi number is available, use the doi instead of the url. If the doi is used, date accessed is not required.
Example with doi number:
- Link M. Evaluation and initial treatment of supraventricular tachycardia. New England Journal of Medicine. October 11, 2012;367(15):1438-1448. doi:1056/NEJMcp1111259.
*note use the URL from the journal publisher's website
Example without doi number:
- Gronbech JM, Andersen S, Ryg J, Masud T. Novel use of the Nintendo Wii board for measuring isometric lower limb strength: a reproducible and valid method in older adults. PLoS ONE. 2015;10(10):1-11. http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0138660. Published October 7, 2015. Accessed October 26, 2016.
Print Journal Articles (AMA)
- Author’s name(s). Title of the article and subtitle. Abbreviated name of journal. Year; Volume number(issue number, part or supplement number when pertinent): Page number(s).
- Rainier S, Thomas D, Tokarz D, et al. Myofibrillogenesis regulator 1 gene mutations cause paroxysmal dystonic choreoathetosis. Arch Neurol. 2004; 61(7): 1025-1029.
Example of citing parts on an issue:
- McCormick MC, Kass B, Elixhauser A, Thompson J, Simpson L. Annual report on access to and utilization of health care for children and youth in the United States: 1999. Pediatrics. 2000;105(1, pt 3): 219-230.
Newspaper Articles (AMA)
- Author name. Title of article. Name of newspaper. Date:Section (if applicable) Page number.
- Wolfe W. State's mail-order drug plan launched. Minneapolis Star Tribune. May 14, 2004:1B.
*note: for online newspapers use the same format just add the URL at the end